About the community
Tigh a’Chomainn is a Camphill Community providing a home for adults (from age 18) with special needs in Aberdeen. Our aim is to support individuals in exploring their personal potential and their limitations, so that they may find purpose, direction and a sense of fulfilment in their lives.
Tigh a’Chomainn is situated in Peterculter, about eight miles from the centre of Aberdeen. Once an outlying village, Peterculter retains much of its village atmosphere. Our homes are in a residential area within walking distance of all local amenities – shops, library, banks, post office, village hall – and we are on the route of a frequent bus service to the city centre.
Work and home life are seen as distinct. Residents go out five days a week to work, training schemes or further education. Involvement in social and cultural activities outside Tigh a’Chomainn is encouraged and supported.
We offer 10 permanent residential places, and our purpose is:
- Creating a home together, creating meaningful inclusion
- Supporting and caring for each other (health and wellbeing)
- Looking after our environment
- Supporting each others personal development through learning and meaningful work
- Maintain our interest in and develop our relationships with other Camphill Communities